Measureable results for Occupational Therapy






Winter 2009- Spring 2009 with Dr. Lucy J. Miller and Dr. Rosalind Picard

Working with the SPD Foundation, I experimented with how our sensors can work with Occupational Therapists.

I tested our sensors vs. their gold standard sensors and then made observations on how the children's Electrodermal Activity changed while in therapy.

One child got extremely nervous everytime he had to speak into a microphone, but bowling and drinking water made him calm way down.

Another child would go into sparadic shifts with his EDA going way below normal and then way above normal.

While these observations in themselves do not lead to conclusions, they helped me develop a thesis topic and also to observe how functional our sensors are.

I appreciated this project because the therapists I was working with were excited (even more than I was). They had so many questions they wanted answer, they dreamt about how the technology could be used. Instead of forcing an awkward solution, I was providing means for therapists to answer their own questions.