Working for Hasbro, a toy company

Summer 2007
 
My dream job was to work at Wizards of the Coast, making games.

They held a competition where 1000's of people applied for one position. I didn't get it.

Then I asked myself, why not just ask for one personally, instead of applying.

I wrote a letter to the Vice President, and I got a response, I was hired.

Over the summer I helped develop flash script for the games. Instead of just hardcoding all day I was given the opportunity to design how the layout would look. I became an expert with photoshop, making icons for each character. I also dabbed into interface design figuring out how to make the game fun.

The strongest thing I took out of this internship is what it was lacking: service. I had so much fun, playing card games with the pros, being creative, living with my grandparents, but I never felt a sense of purpose. How was I going to change the world with this? That lead me to apply to grad school the next year.